Nothing says winter cooking like a steaming bowl of soup. With the current frigid temperatures here in Minnesota nothing works better to warm you up while filling your tummy than this wonderful Hearty Italian Sausage Soup. It combines two of my favorite things, tomato soup and sausage and very easy to make. This recipe was originally discovered by my mom from a Pillsbury cookbook when I was young but I was unable to locate it on the Pillsbury website. It has been a favorite in my family and I’m certain it will be a favorite in yours as well!
- 1 lb. Italian Sausage (hot or mild)
- ½ c. chopped green pepper
- ½ c. chopped onion
- 28 oz. diced tomatoes
- 2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce (or one 15 oz)
- 2 c. water
- 1 T. instant chicken bouillon/cubes
- ½ t. garlic powder
- ¾ c. macaroni or small pasta shells
- shredded cheese for topping (we like cheddar or mozzerella)
- Brown sausage, green pepper and onion. (I like to cook the sausage halfway through before adding green pepper and onion). Drain.
- Stir in all other ingredients except macaroni.
- Cover and simmer 12 minutes.
- Stir in pasta.
- Cover and simmer an additional 20 minutes or until pasta is tender.
Tastes great served with cornbread, garlic bread or breadsticks! Works great for leftovers and can easily be made into a double batch. Hope you love it as much as we do!