Tacos in a Bag (a.k.a. Walking Tacos) Recipe

Share on Facebook1,396Tweet about this on Twitter121Pin on Pinterest191Share on Google+0Digg thisShare on StumbleUpon30Email this to someone

I’ll admit that this isn’t exactly a recipe but mostly just an easy, quick solution for either taco leftovers or a fun way to put a spin on a taco salad. Tacos in a Bag, also known as Walking Tacos, works great for any situation where clean up or sitting down to eat might be difficult. Because all of the ingredients are added to a bag of tortilla chips, only a fork is required to enjoy. I’ve seen them used for local sidewalk sales, camping and even Relay for Life.  It is also a fun for kids to make their own!

I had left over taco ingredients so I made one recently for something different.

Ingredients

• individual sized bags of Doritos (or other favorite type)
  • taco meat
  • cheese
  • lettuce
  • tomatoes
  • sour cream
  • salsa or taco sauce
  • green onion (optional)
  • olives (optional)

Taco in a Bag 1

Crush your bag of tortilla chips so that you have bite size pieces.

Taco in a Bag 2

Next add taco meat and cheese

Taco in a Bag 3

throw in some lettuce

Taco in a Bag 4

tomatoes and sour cream

Taco in a Bag 5

and top it off with salsa (my personal favorite) or taco sauce. It is important to add one of these to keep it from being dry and to make it more like a taco salad.

Taco in a Bag 6Add a fork and enjoy! Simply throw the bag away when you are finished.  Yummy!

Have you ever made Tacos in a Bag? When have they come in handy for you?

Comments

1. says

Oh, my! This brings back memories! When I was in high school our Parents of Athlete’s group made these and sold them in the concessions stand during our softball games. From experience, these are excellent snacks between games! Thanks for posting this!

2. Lori A. says

Never had it or heard of it! Sounds like a fun idea, though. As Christina said, might be great for camping.

3. katklaw777 says

This is originally a recipe from Frito-Lay using a bag of Frito’s.
    My son’s boy scout troop sold them at the county fair for years, back in the 70’s. It is a fun recipe with a long history.

4. Debbie Stanton says

cool.. i think my kids will like it… we use all the ingredients listed.. just never put it in individual bags. :D

5. Donna B. says

I remembered reading this awhile ago but I couldn’t remember where but I found it again tonight! This has become one of my fav quick & easy lunches when I’m in the mood for mexican. I get chips out of the vending machine, and then either grilled chicken, a burger (crumbled) or I’ve even done it with turkey from the salad bar in the cafeteria downstairs. I’ve got some Taco Bell sauce packets in my desk, some salsa in the fridge and the rest (lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, onions, etc.) I also get from the salad bar, and they sell sour cream in the little containers. My co-workers think I’m a genius (crazy, but a genius) but now I can give credit where credit is due!

• Emilie says

Donna, that is awesome! Yes, really any meat will work well and it becomes just a really awesome salad. But I love how you use what is around and keep some stuff on hand. So simple yet so genius! And I really can’t take credit. I’ve seen them used at games, fundraisers, fairs, etc. But I’m thrilled that I’ve been able to share the love of tacos in a bag!

• Donna B. says

You’re the one who introduced it to me, so you get total credit :) I’d never seen/heard of doing that before I read your post!

6. Anna Pry says

haha, great idea, my daughter would love it. I’d use Fritos since that’s what we use anyway when making taco salad.

7. luckylifepath22 says

wow, don’t think i would have ever thought of this, haha! nice idea, if you have all the ingredients lying around anyway…

8. says

I have never thought or heard of this until just now- and I am starving just thinking about it. Sounds like a fantastical idea. I am going to HAVE to try this now.

9. says

This has to be the greatest idea ever! I’m going to be trying this tomorrow night. Hubby LOVES doritos and tacos so he’s going to be so happy once i tell him what i’ve done, of course i’ll give you all the credit though :) Thanks for sharing!

10. Alicia says

I’m not too thrilled by tacos, I’m usually disappointed by the amount of meat that is served with them. These are more like nachos and they would be great for appetizers, I have to agree.