We all have our favorite recipes from scratch that are our go-to favorites. These homemade drop biscuits have been a family favorite for years. I love that they are made from ingredients that I always have on hand, and can be on my table in under 20 minutes. These biscuits are the perfect accompaniment to a hearty winter meal like stew, but also taste great warmed up with my morning coffee. One thing is for certain, you won’t believe how easy these drop biscuits with no yeast are to make!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 cup milk (whole milk preferred)
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Mix together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Add melted butter and milk. Stir just until moistened.
- Immediately drop by heaping tablespoons (15 biscuits) onto lightly greased or parchment paper/silicone baking sheet lined large cookie sheet.
- Cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges turn golden brown.
After making this recipe so many times, I’ve learned a couple of things. It is important to start pre-heating your oven right away. You do not want this batter to sit or be over-mixed. It is important to work fast. The sooner you get them into the oven after you mix the wet ingredients in with the dry, the better the taste! I’ve also found that whole milk creates a better biscuit over 1% milk. They do taste great either way, but the extra fat does make them even better!
Serve with butter, honey, jam, apple butter or great for dipping into soups. (I often serve mine with this yummy Italian Soup.) We especially love them with butter and honey. Would also taste great with some shredded cheese mixed in. Super simple and very delicious!
This recipe is altered from this EZ Drop Biscuits recipe found on allrecipes.com.