Do I Sound Like I’m From Minnesota? Accent Vlog Take 2

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Pin on Pinterest0Share on Google+0Digg thisShare on StumbleUpon0Email this to someone

You may remember a couple of weeks ago when I participated in accent vlog hop and asked you, “Do I have a Minnesotan Accent?”. Annie from mamadweeb.com has come up with a new set of questions and I just couldn’t resist participating again.

(I also realize that I’m once again wearing a scarf. I really do love scarves but I swear I don’t wear them every day!)

How do you say these words?

Roof, Root, Illinois,  Arkansas River,  Missouri,  About,  Ask,  Abdomen,  Especially, Hierarchy,  Often,  Realtor, Coyote

Questions:

1. What do you call it when friends get together and eat food outside?

2. What do you call the meal at noon? What about 6pm?

3. What do you call the thing you put your groceries in after you buy them?

4. What is it called when you ride a sled down a snowy hill?

5. What is another word for a stream you find in the woods?

6. What is the piece of furniture you store you clothes in?

7. What do you call the stuff you throw away?

8. What is the huge piece of furniture in your living room that at least 3 people can sit on?

9. What is the common/slang way for where you live to say, “Calm down”?

10. What do you call the colorful candy toppings you put on donuts?

Feel free to link up!

Comments

1. says

Oh Emilie!! You have the same accent as my family that lives in WI. And when you said Bag I heard them in my head too!! I was honestly laughing, trying not to wake up my baby hehehe

you and your scarves, I tell you what.

oh and thanks for enlightening me on those sprinkles, jimmies and whatnots :)

If you think of any others or have any friends bring up some ideas, let me know! I’ll be doing another one in a couple weeks or so (and it will be funny to see if you wear a scarf again or not)

2. says

I’m a fellow Mid-Westerner in Wisconsin and I think represented nicely :)

Sprinkles are what I call them, but when I lived in Massachusetts they were called Jimmies. Which I do not understand. AT ALL. lol

3. Mrs. Smitty says

1. What do you call it when friends get together and eat food outside?
    BBQ or “get together”

2. What do you call the meal at noon? What about 6pm?
    Lunch

3. What do you call the thing you put your groceries in after you buy them?
    Baaaaaaag. (MN lol)

4. What is it called when you ride a sled down a snowy hill?
    Sledding

5. What is another word for a stream you find in the woods?
    Stream, River, Brooke

6. What is the piece of furniture you store you clothes in?
    Dresser

7. What do you call the stuff you throw away?
    Trash/Garbage

Couch

9. What is the common/slang way for where you live to say, “Calm down”?
    Calm Down or Cool It

10. What do you call the colorful candy toppings you put on donuts?
    Sprinkles

4. says

Interesting how you interchange dinner and supper. Makes sense though. You almost say bag like a Canadian. At least that’s how one of my roomates from Canada used to say it. Sounds more like beg than bag. I like it.

5. says

LOL: a-bow-t and my sons say beeeyg for bag, too. Cracks me up. I don’t say it that way so they must hear it at school and from their teachers. If I remember I’ll do another post tomorrow. You are adorable. =)

• Emilie says

Aw, thanks! I can’t help it. It totally comes out that way and I don’t try to say it differently since that is the whole point of the vlog anyway. Even if I know I’m going to be teased a bit for it. :)

6. says

You are too cute about saying the things that we would tease you about (aboot).
    You said hierarchy correctly – yippee!
    I totally understand what you said about a fancy meal not being called a supper, you’re right about it being called dinner! It’s always Christmas, Thanksgiving, or Sunday dinner, NOT supper.
    I would never tease you about how you talk, because you are just too adorable, and I LOVE your scarves. I wouldn’t be surprised if you wore them every day, damn, it’s freezing where you live!! :)

7. says

You are too funny..I decided to answer your questions too :)
    1. What do you call it when friends get together and eat food outside?
    Hanging out ?
    2. What do you call the meal at noon? What about 6pm?
    Lunch. Dinner
    3. What do you call the thing you put your groceries in after you buy them?
    Cart
    4. What is it called when you ride a sled down a snowy hill?
    Sledding
    5. What is another word for a stream you find in the woods?
    Creek?
    6. What is the piece of furniture you store you clothes in?
    Dresser
    7. What do you call the stuff you throw away?
    Garbage
    Couch
    9. What is the common/slang way for where you live to say, “Calm down”?
    Chill
    10. What do you call the colorful candy toppings you put on donuts?
    Sprinkles