Growing up my grandparents would always bring goodies with them every time they visited. While it wan’t anything expensive, I would get excited to see what they brought . My favorite things included packs of gum, homemade maple syrup and fresh rhubarb. Just thinking about that makes me a little sad.
Isn’t it always simple memories like that you miss most?
Because we always seemed to have an endless supply of rhubarb when it was in season, my mom had several recipes in which to use this tart but wonderful fruit like vegetable. (I actually looked it up and while it is technically a vegetable it is regulated in the US as though it were a fruit. You learn something new every day.)
This cake was a popular one for our family as it as a soft top with just the right mix of sweet and tart with an extremely moist cake below. It is very easy and is sure to be a hit with anyone who enjoys rhubarb!
- 5 cups rhubarb cut into small bite sized pieces.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 small box strawberry JELLO
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows.
- Betty Crocker Super Moist Yellow Cake Mix (or your favorite cake mix)
- ½ cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup water
- Grease 9 X 13 inch pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread rhubarb on bottom of pan.
- Pour sugar over rhubarb
- Sprinkle gelatin over sugar
- Top with mini marshmallows
- Mix cake according to package directions using oil, eggs and water.
- Pour over rhubarb mixture.
- Bake one hour and serve with whipped cream.