As part of working wit Hormel Foods on their Extended Family Preferred Blogger program, I get to share recipes, entertaining tips and products with you along the way!
Did you know that August is family fun month? In August our family did a ton of fun things! Besides celebrating Lucian’s 6th birthday with family, we also made a trip to the Mall of America and hung out at the amazing Lego Store.
Two fun filled nights were also spent in Wisconsin Dells at the Kalahari Resort which was certainly memorable and a blast for my boys! They wouldn’t take their wrist bands off for a week after we came back.
Most of August was very hot but we did have a week where the temperatures cooled off enough for me to run my oven. I couldn’t let the opportunity pass me by to try something new and different. I have seen many different recipes for interesting takes on traditional pizza including pizza rings and balls. I didn’t have all the ingredients for any recipe I came across so I simply made up my own with what I could find in my fridge.
Keeping options like Hormel Pepperoni slices on hand makes it even easier to throw together something when the mood strikes. The balls took a little bit of time to assemble but it was super easy!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 cans (7.5 oz each) buttermilk refrigerated biscuits (value pack)
- 120 slices of Hormel pepperoni
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, cut into 20 pieces
- 1-2 cups pizza sauce, heated
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13×9 inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray.
- In small bowl, mix melted olive oil, Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
- Separate 1 can of dough into 10 biscuits and flatten each biscuit a bit. Place 3 pepperoni slices in center of each biscuit round. Top each with piece of mozzarella cheese.
- Bring dough up around filling and press edge to seal and shape each into ball. Place in pan and repeat with remaining tubes of biscuits to equal 40 balls.
- Brush seasoned olive oil mixture over tops of rolls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until deep golden brown. Cool 5 minutes. Serve warm with warm pizza sauce for dipping.
These turned out awesome and the kids really liked them too! Next time I want to try adding additional pizza toppings like mushrooms, onions and green peppers.
We had some leftovers and they heated up great the next day for lunch. I’m also thinking this would be great to serve for some tailgating parties. We love football!
Did you do anything fun this month? What kind of activities do you enjoy with your family?
Disclosure: I am currently a member of the Hormel Foods Extended Blogger Program and this post is part of my involvement in the Group. While Hormel Foods provides me material and necessary resources to complete various activities, all statements and sentiments are my own.