Save Your Sweaters and Blankets: Shave Those Pills Away {Tutorial}

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter1Pin on Pinterest12Share on Google+0Digg thisShare on StumbleUpon0Email this to someone

I was horrified when I pulled my daughter’s blanket out of the dryer and found it was absolutely covered in pills from the new towels I washed it with (yeah yeah yeah – totally my fault). Now … how to FIX it!? I searched site after site and found some interesting contraptions that claimed to solve the problem including sweater stones and a battery-operated gadget. After reading several reviews I wasn’t going to run to the store to purchase something that several reviewers said gave marginal results. The most common solution was shaving the sweater or blanket. Yes, I said SHAVE it.

I just happened to have a dollar-store razor in the closet (note: this is a much better use for this razor as it was worthless on my legs – ouch). I tried it first in the corner and was as gentle as I could be. This beautiful blanket was lovingly crocheted by my daughter’s uncle and I knew she’d be upset if something happened to it. Who wants to explain a blanket shaving accident to a three-year old? Not me.

After I was sure this wouldn’t harm the blanket I was able to pull the razor pretty quickly with decent pressure (after all I had a HUGE blanket to cover and it did take some time to do it). Look at the pile of fuzz after covering this section! This blanket was striped so it was easy to do one or two stripes at a time and ensure I covered everything. I was thrilled! (Yeah I lead a pretty boring life if I’m excited over blanket fuzz right?)

After an hour or so my daughter was happily snuggling with her blankey friend and I have to say it looked better than ever! I’m happy to have this trick up my sleeve for those times when I need a quick fix. Even if I’m traveling I could find a sub-par vending machine razor.

Comments

1. Julie Wood says

I have had so many problems with blankets having this on them. I just get rid of them because I thought that I could not get it out! Now after reading this informative blog post, I am so happy to have learned out to get this stuff off! Thanks so much for sharing!

2. Janet W. says

Oh wow! What a great trick! I’m so glad you posted about this because I know exactly what you mean and it drives me crazy. Thanks for the tip!

3. says

I would’ve never thought of doing this! Thank you! I have so many cute sweaters that I have just thrown away thinking i couldn’t do anything about the problem , now I’llb e able to solve it :) :) I’m going to share this with my sister and mom , theyll be as excited as i am

4. Jennifer Hedden says

Thank you for sharing this. I have recently had the same problem and was wondering how I could get those off. I will be trying this tomorrow.

5. ANN*H says

If there is anything thing I hate the most – it is this fuzzys on sweater or blankets. I hate, hate ,hate it! But I have learned the razor trick awhile back. I use it all the time if I screw the sweater up in the washer. Its a life saver . I have been asked by others what do I do and I tell them I shave them and they look at me like huh? Sure is cheaper than buying one of the battery operated things that dont work. Great tip everyone.

6. Priscilla Benavides says

This reminds me of one Christmas when my brother gave my son a blank for Christmas and it left pills all over everything it touched! It was a total nightmare!!

7. Crystal Young says

8. Holly Trudeau says

What a simple yet effective idea! I am definitely going to do this for the tons of baby blankets we have that are shedding & bunching! Thanks for sharing!

9. Jean Fisher says

Thank you so much for this tip and tutorial. I am going to try this for sure on sweaters, coats and some special linens that have pilled.

10. Kristine L says

I am so excited. I have a long history of washing things together that obviously should not have been. I always thought you had to have one of those little electric sweater shavers to do this…but I have a WHOLE drawer in my bathroom full of dollar store razors I keep on hand in case I’m super desperate to shave and run out of the good ones. I’m SO doing this when I’m done on the computer!

11. Jessica Barnhart says

wow! this is a great idea! I have a pile of sweaters that are pilled, and I just didn’t know how to fix it

12. ColleenMarie82 says

I have always heard of doing this but have not tried it, I will have to give it a try and see how it workS!

13. catherine b says

This is a fantastic time saver! I have known about it for years. I just thought everyone knew. I guess not. I hope that post will help with this annoying problem.

14. Char W says

Oh thank you for sharing this! I would have never thought to shave it and have spent WAY too much time picking the little lint balls off, one by one…

15. Danielle says

This is what I always have done too! It works so well! I do worry about doing it though, it seems to me a sharp razor may thin an already thin sweater. So far so good though!